Sunday, July 15, 2012

Verbiage

Every now and then we get what I can only assume are scholars in the store who like to point out when we do and do not speak or write something correctly.

Two weeks ago I jumped on cash because there was a mess of people standing around and I didn't know who was next so I said, "I can help the next person." A woman walked up to me and thanked me for saying it correctly. It took me a moment to figure out what she was talking about and to be honest I don't think the other customers in line ever figured it out. I said "I can" instead of "Can I" to which I assume she would have said, "I don't know, can you?"

I also received a customer complaint once after helping a customer because when they thanked me I said, "No problem." Turns out that this is wrong because it implies that it actually was a problem. So from now on I'll just say "it was my pleasure" and make everyone feel awkward?

Yesterday I had another woman come up to me upset that the word 'favorite' was spelt without the u. This is Canada and if the company is going to take the time to put everything in French then they should change the spelling to the Canadian version. I told her that I didn't think most Canadians were smart enough to know the difference, to which she took offence, and then went on to give me a speech about how we're losing our cultural identity and need to fight for it. Ah if you're that concerned then stop shopping at a huge American chain! And let's be honest, we lost our cultural identity a long time ago. We are Americans in every way except that when we travel our t-shirts say "Canada by Roots" instead of an American flag with a stag.

Look I get that everyone has their "thing" that bugs them, but if I verbalized my "thing" then I'd be out of breath from telling people to shut up everytime they treat other people as less than them.

Oh and I'm sure that there are plenty of grammatical errors in this blog and quite frankly, I don't give a damn. Shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment